After the global release of Android 7.0 Nougat back in August, Google has confirmed a quick update to Android 7.1 coming soon. The company has released the second developer preview beta for the following devices: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P and Pixel C tablet. Given below is everything you need to know about Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
Back in October Google released Android 7.1 Nougat and many of the features which are included on the new Pixel smartphone. Many of those features though, are exclusive to Google’s new phone. Those select Nexus devices can enjoy a few of them though.
As said before, on October 19th Google officially released Android 7.1 Nougat, as a developer preview, for select Nexus smartphones and tablets. Now, as November comes to an end the Android 7.1.1 developer preview 2 is available.
Cyanogen MoD team has been working on their latest custom ROM based on Android 7.1 Nougat. Here we will share the steps, with you, to update Nexus 6 to Android 7.1 based CM14.1 Nightly custom ROM.
Requirements to Update Your Phone:
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 6 on your computer.
- USB debugging option should be enabled. Do so by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Search and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Your Nexus 6 should be rooted.
- Ensure that TWRP recovery is installed.
- Make sure that your Nexus 6 is more than 70% of charged.
How to Update Nexus 6 To Android 7.1 ROM:
You will require the following files: Download CM 14.1 Android 7.1 custom firmware on your computer. Also, download GApps package.
Now follow the given steps:
- Connect your Nexus 6 to your PC via a USB cable and copy the downloaded files to your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect your Nexus 6 and switch its power off.
- Now boot it into the recovery mode by following the give process. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and the Power buttons at the same time. Use Volume keys to highlight and Power button to select.
- Data wipe operations will be done in the following manner. Go to wipe data/factory reset and confirm the operation. Wipe cache partition and finally go for wipe dalvik cache to clean it up.
- Select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM installation finishes successfully, repeat the above step for installing the GApps package.
- Once finished, return to main recovery menu and select reboot system now.
- Install Google Pixel Edition ROM on Samsung Galaxy S7 edge G935F
First boot takes a little time as it’s the first time for the device to load up everything after being flashed with a new firmware. So do not worry if it takes a little longer than a usual reboot. Enjoy the features of CM14.1 Nightly ROM and don’t forget to share your favorite ROMs with us.
Android 7.1.1 Nougat Release Date
As of now, 7.1 Nougat is only available as a beta for the devices mentioned above, and running on only Pixel phones. By December however, Google will release a final and official version throughout all channels. Manufacturers like Samsung and Motorola will start working on that instead of Android 7.0 then.
Here’s Google’s official statement
“After the initial preview release, we plan to deliver an update in November followed by the final public release to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) in December. Initially available on Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Pixel C devices, we’ll extend the Developer Preview to other devices in November.”